09 November 2019

More Catching Up...

Catching up is always a bear, but let's get into it anyways.

I had three friends at church whose babies were due within...a month of each other? I thought it would be fun to see how far I could stretch a single block design and still make the quilts look totally different. I decided on a Courthouse Steps block as the basis for the quilts...jokingly calling it "Church Steps" as all these ladies were friends from church.

The first baby's nursery was vintage school themed, since the mother was a math teacher before having him. I bought school-themed fabrics to be the block centers - letters, numbers, school supplies, blackboards with math equations on them, chemistry equipment, etc. I wanted the quilt to have balls of color across it so I spent a while planning out which color would go where in the quilt.

Graph paper is my friend!

I really loved how the quilt turned out, and so did the recipient. It's bright and colorful and matched the nursery decor perfectly. The backing I chose was a blueprint of a model airplane that I found at JoAnn Fabrics. (Colors aren't totally accurate as they were taken at night, and while I've tried to correct them a bit it isn't quite worth it to chase down the perfection. The quilt has long since been given away, oh well!)

Fun, bright front

More muted but fun back

Label and closeup of backing and binding

And, of course, I had a wonderful binding helper.

Fabric Used This Week (in 2017): 5.5 yards
Fabric Used Year to Date: 33 yards
Fabric Added This Week: 0 yards
Fabric Added Year to Date: 48 yards
Net Fabric for 2017: 15 yards gained

Getting closer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you, if you've got the time to leave a comment!