09 November 2019

Jade, Binding, and...Did I Buy More Fabric Again? [An unfinished post that I have just now found, two years later]

I finished and delivered a quilt! Now called the Jade quilt, this was the pink and green quilt I mentioned in my last post. I chose a split 9 patch design for the blocks. This quilt took me forever, as I got hit with some severe exhaustion for a while there, but I finally got it done and delivered!

My block layout - with a helper!

Finished quilt

The layout of the front was fun to play around with. Looking at it once it was assembled I realized that there were a few places where two pieces of the same fabric ended up extremely close to each other, but I still love the overall effect.

Slightly blurry backing and label shot

I absolutely love how well the backing paired with the top. Thank you, JoAnn Fabrics, for having this beautiful butterfly print this spring! I had completely forgotten what fabric I'd picked for this quilt, and when I pulled out my purchases and found this one I about exploded. It ended up being perfect! I chose a shirt out of my bag of shirts to be de-boned and turned into quilting fabric for the binding, and I love the way it looks with both the front and the back. I didn't even need the entire back of the shirt for the binding on this quilt, so I've got more for future quilts.

I've also finished the top, quilted, and done the machine portion of the binding of my next quilt. I'm still working on the hand sewing portion of the binding, so it isn't *technically* finished yet, but it's coming along nicely. I'll do a full post on it when it's done. I'm not going to count the fabric for this quilt yet, since it's not finished.
The colored pencil binding stripes are perfect!

And then...I started cutting pieces for the next quilt after this one. However, once I made my plan for this quilt I realized I had barely any of the fabrics I'd need for it. I love scrappy of course I needed to buy more fabric. I swear, I'm trying to use more than I buy this year!

Whites for the next quilt

Fabric Used This Week: 5.5 yards
Fabric Used Year to Date: 27.5 yards
Fabric Added This Week: 11.5 yards
Fabric Added Year to Date: 48 yards
Net Fabric for 2017: 20.5 yards gained

I've got some serious quilting to do if I'm going to end up out of the red by December! I guess it's a good thing that I still have...10 quilts on my list for people I know who have had or are going to have babies between now and April. Eep! 

Oh, and public service announcement: change your rotary cutter blades and machine needles. I know I don't do it often enough (I'm finding that changing the cutter blade every project is about what I need to do to keep it running smoothly and not skipping) so here's your reminder! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you, if you've got the time to leave a comment!