I did a sort of experiment with these quilts that I'm not entirely sure I like the end result of, but they're done so...I guess it counts as a finish/win in the end. I used the idea and layout of Bonnie Hunter's Random Ohio Stars, but used the stars from her Sister's Choice quilt instead.
I made a lot of 9 patches in the two sizes (4.5" unfinished out of 1.5" strips and 6.5" unfinished out of 2.5" strips). The backgrounds for the big stars were neutral tan fabrics, the backgrounds for the small stars were darker brown fabrics, and the alternate blocks used big/busy print fabrics that I rarely use. This is the part I'm not a huge fan of - they make the quilt too busy against the 9 patch stars.
|A little busy, but still pretty fun|
|I really like the quilting texture|
|Busy...but it's sewn together and given to its recipient|
|Pink binding for a little girl with a very active older brother|
|Backing, binding, and label|
The only picture I have so far of the first one I finished but have put away until I can confirm if I'm giving it to the intended recipient:
|Binding with my cuddly old puppy|